Can Basement Moisture Weaken The Foundation?
Quality Basement Waterproofing in Waukesha, WI
Basement moisture is bad news for your home. It’s critical to address basement moisture as soon as possible to help prevent significant foundation issues. Moisture often causes the soil around your foundation to expand without contracting in a vicious cycle that puts pressure on your foundation. It’s possible to avoid numerous foundation issues and protect your home’s structural integrity. Everdry Waterproofing in Waukesha, WI, explains how moisture on basement walls and floors threatens your foundation and how you can help prevent issues.
Signs of Basement Moisture
It’s essential to pay attention to any signs of basement moisture to help prevent significant damage. The most common signs of basement moisture include:
- Salt stains
- Visible mold or mildew
- Musty odor
- Paint deterioration
- Cracks in the basement floor
- Crawling insects
Common Causes of Foundation Moisture Issues
Foundation moisture is a significant concern. The most common causes of a wet foundation include:
- Poor Drainage – A poor drainage system often leaves soil areas with more moisture than others, causing your foundation to shift unevenly.
- Drought – Extended dry periods cause your soil to shrink and contract, affecting the foundation.
- Weather – Excessive moisture like heavy rains and melting snow cause flooding that can damage your foundation.
- Leaks – Faulty pipes can cause water to dampen the soil in your yard and cause excessive moisture near your foundation.
How a Wet Basement Leads to Structural Damage
Dampness in your basement can lead to structural damage over time. Leaks in the floors and walls lead to severe structural problems due to:
- Moisture causes metal to rust and corrode, affecting your water heater, HVAC system, and electrical system.
- Excess humidity leads to wood rot, causing support beans and floor joists to weaken.
- Water causes small cracks in concrete that lead to a weak foundation wall.
- Excess dampness leads to mold and mildew growth.
Can Water Damage Concrete Foundation?
A concrete block foundation can be damaged by water due to its permeability. Concrete foundation will succumb to the pressure of the water and soil around it if it is not treated correctly. Our concrete block waterproofing techniques ensure your concrete foundation stays sturdy and dry.
Everdry’s Basement Waterproofing Options
We offer patented basement waterproofing techniques that can also be used in slabs and crawl spaces. Our three basement waterproofing solutions include:
- Exterior System – We dig around the exterior of your foundation to expose the wall and footing. Our experts will replace your footer tiles, seal your wall with waterproofing materials, and pour gravel over the pipe.
- Interior System – We waterproof your basement using an interior drain system. We install pipe and gravel around your footer, weep holes to release trapped water, and inside drains for proper drainage.
- Multi-Step System – Our patented multi-step system waterproofs your basement with a combination of interior and exterior systems.
Gain Peace of Mind About Your Home’s Foundation
Everdry Waterproofing provides peace of mind about your home’s foundations. Our patented, safe, and 100% effective waterproofing techniques protect your foundation from moisture damage. Any amount of water can affect the stability of your foundation due to mold growth and movement. Our experienced waterproofing technicians have been in business since 1989 and have served over 85,000 satisfied customers. Whether you need waterproofing in your crawl space or large basement area, we’re here for you.
Contact Everdry Waterproofing Today
Don’t worry about basement moisture affecting your foundation. Let Everydry Waterproofing provide superior care and treatment to your foundation. Contact our expert team today to learn more about waterproofing your basement and foundation.