Crawl Space Encapsulation in Kenosha WI
When it comes to home improvement, there is always one area that gets short shrift and that is your crawl space. This is despite the fact that the Basement Health Association (BHA) says moisture problems in these spaces can be devastating for the entire family.
Apparent Risks of a Wet Crawl Space
For starters, toxic mold growth on moist surfaces leads to health complications because much of the air you breathe in indoors comes from crawl spaces. But it gets worse, the fact that there are wooden support joists in your crawl space means your foundation will be affected because wood rots fast in presence of water or high humidity levels. Other reasons you need to consider improving this space is to avoid critter infestation.
Ideal Waterproofing through Crawl Space Encapsulation
With the risks involved in neglected crawl spaces, the need for an ideal waterproofing solution cannot be underestimated. Crawl space encapsulation has been identified as the most effective solution for many reasons.
Here are just a few of these:
- Creation of controlled space: With effective encapsulation you will create a space that you can easily handle. It is easier to manage humidity levels, avoid rodents, prevent mold and mildew growth and even get a storage space for your equipment.
- Better indoor air quality: According to EPA, most of the air you breathe indoors travels from the space below the floor. You will thus enjoy a healthier indoor environment without the risk of allergens and other pollutants including toxic Radon gas from the earthen floor below.
- Energy saving: Through crawl space encapsulation, you will cut energy bills by up to 20% according to EPA. This is because there will be no high humidity for your HVAC system to contend with.
- Better structural integrity: By keeping the soil around your foundation dry you will not only be protecting the supporting joists but the foundation itself as well.
- Durable waterproofing: The encapsulation UV and water resistant liner is designed to last for long. It protects everything inside the crawl space while preventing any leakage of air and moisture into the crawl space.
- Reduced risks of toxic mold growth: Mold and mildew are health risks that lead to respiratory complications and eye irritation. With a well encapsulated space, you do not have to contend with these allergens indoors and this reduces your medical bills.
- Increased home value: According to the National Association of Realtors® (NAR), over 96% of homeowners will first request to see the basement or the crawl space before buying. As such, your well preserved crawl space is a selling point for your property.
There is no gainsaying the fact that crawl space encapsulation revolutionizes your home. Not only do you save money, but you also enjoy better indoor air quality (IAQ).